The Best Positions For Air Conditioning Units | Spring & Summer 2023
The position of your air conditioning unit can make a real difference to its efficiency, running costs and comfort levels. In this article we take a look at the best locations to position your unit.
Where Best to Position an Air Conditioning Unit
The position of your air conditioning unit can make a real difference to its efficiency, running costs and comfort levels. When you consider that your AC unit can account for about 27% of your electric bill when you use it, it’s important to make sure that your air conditioner is placed in a prime position.
Some locations are far better than others for an air conditioning unit. Positioning in the best possible way is crucial for the following reasons:
- The first and most obvious is because it will improve the efficiency of your unit, and this will ultimately save you money. If your unit is placed properly, it won’t have to work as hard to cool the space. Less work means less energy used.
- The second reason is simple: comfort. We use air conditioners to make indoor climates feel more comfortable, so if your AC unit is properly positioned then your space will feel more comfortable quicker.
Good Locations for Your AC Unit
- It’s always best to place your AC unit in an area where the natural air flow of the space is going to work with the air conditioner, not against it. For instance, if your air conditioning unit is facing an often-used door, it must work twice as hard every time the door opens.
- If you are using a window air conditioner, a good way to get more out of your unit by simple placement is to put it in a shaded window, or to build a shade to prevent the unit sitting in direct sunlight. A window AC that is shaded can run at 30% less electricity to cool down a space, compared to a unit that is placed in direct sunlight.
- Place your unit where the air flow can move about freely. In other words, don’t install your unit behind a piece of furniture or place anything directly in front of it. All air conditioning units should have a free flow of air surrounding them. If you block the air exchange, you can burn out your unit more quickly.
- You always need a power source, so make sure there is a plug socket nearby. It’s always best to avoid running extension leads to your air conditioning unit if possible.
- Portable units (not window units) work best if they are as close to the centre of the room as possible. With portable air conditioners you will be limited by the ability to place the vent pipe out a window, however placing these units toward the centre of the room, where possible, can help to radiate the cooling effects.
- In rooms with ceiling fans are a great place for your unit because the ceiling fan will help to circulate the air in the room and make you feel cooler overall. This will result in you relying less on your air conditioner.
Poor Locations for Your Air Conditioner
Air conditioning units have an internal thermostat that should shut the air conditioner off when the space reaches a certain temperature. If you position your air conditioner near a device producing heat, your AC unit may constantly run, since it will be detecting the heat from the other nearby appliance.
Quick Hints and Tips
There are other quick steps that you can take to help get the best out of your AC unit. For instance, try room darkening drapes in the room. Sunscreens can keep out up to 70% of the sun’s heat.
Make sure the unit is installed correctly and that there are no gaps around the window when using a window AC unit. With a Portable AC unit, any gaps around the air conditioner duct should be sealed to keep out any drafts of warm air. Checkout out our Airlock 100 Portable Air Conditioning Window Seal Kit. Check the doors and other windows in the room to make sure that they are adequately sealed against the weather. Doors and windows that allow heat in defeat the purpose of the proper placement of the AC unit.
Try and limit the use of lights in the room where the air conditioner is located. Light bulbs generate heat, and this can affect the performance of your AC unit.
Our expert team are on hand to answer any of your questions!
At Sunbelt, we offer a wide range of air conditioning units for domestic, office, commercial and leisure use, all available with rapid delivery anywhere in the UK. With a range of different models available to suit all room sizes and locations, we offer portable air conditioners, ceiling air conditioning, wall mounted split ac units, fans, easy install air conditioning and more.
Our experts can offer a wealth of advice about the best models to suit you.
Contact us today for further information.